A super simple Chorizo breakfast skillet made to impress, with chorizo, onions, tomatoes, eggs, and fresh basil. Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free.
Whenever I make this type of dish for my friends they always seem to be uber impressed. And that’s why this dish is so great. Maximum compliments with minimal mess, clean up or effort.
A real kitchen, win if you ask me.
Now I’m not sure if these friends of mine are simply used to eating cereal or plain yogurt for breakfast, but for me that was never going to cut it (except on that off day when I’m hungover and kind of really craving Honey Bunches of Oats – yes that happens).
I’m always having eggs for breakfast (well until recently when I become obsessed with vegan acai smoothie bowls, but that’s another story).
In my family we always used to have eggs for breakfast on the weekend. My mom would make a dish similar to this with pretty much any ingredient you can find in the fridge.
First would always come the bread, sliced into matchsticks and pan fried and then flipped, and spread out across the perimeter of the pan. Then the veggies would get sauteed. Then comes the cracking of the eggs.
A classic dish that I have had hundreds of times in my life.
Now that I’m in charge of breakfasts, I love to whip up my own version of this Chorizo breakfast skillet. Recently I threw together chorizo, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, basil and of course eggs. Seriously an awesome combination of flavors. The trick here is to have enough surface area so that everything gets to touch the pan. Spread out those chorizo slices in a single layer and then make room so the cut side of the tomatoes gets a nice char to it.
While I was in Sanibel, Florida enjoying the sunshine with a group of gals I met while studying abroad in Madrid in 2009 I made a version of this chorizo breakfast egg skillet but with hot italian sausage, pesto and parmesan cheese. An instant hit.
The colors in this dish just scream deeeelicious to me. So bright, so vibrant. I just want to stab those egg yolks with my fork and let that liquid gold pour down and coat the rest of the ingredients.
I need to learn how to eat more slowly. I can devour my half of this pan in a minute. Strategically cut into four large bites and that’s it.
Give me more.
Seriosuly though, if you’ve got guests coming to visit for this long weekend impress them with this super simple yet delicious chorizo breakfast skillet!
A super simple breakfast made to impress, with chorizo, onions, tomatoes, eggs, and fresh basil. Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free.
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 6 slices chorizo cold cuts, quartered
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4 eggs
- handful fresh basil, slivered
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Add onion and cook for a couple mins.
- Add chorizo, in single layer, cook for a couple minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes, in single layer, cut side down. Cook for a couple minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and mix everything together.
- Create four mini craters in the four corners of the pan and crack four eggs, one into each hole.
- Add salt/pepper to taste. Cook until eggs are set (use spatula to crack the yolks if you prefer a non runny yolk).
- Remove from heat. Serve sprinkled with fresh basil.