Mango Summer Rolls with Avocado make for the most refreshing vegan appetizer. Creamy avocado and lightly sweet and soft mango wrapped up with greens and herbs in silky rice paper wrappers. Gluten Free too. I love looking at restaurant menus. It’s like a hobby of mine.
Seriously. Even if I’m already full and fed, if I’m walking around a city and there is a whole row of restaurants with their menus posted in the window or on a stand, you can be fairly certain that I won’t be able to walk by without stopping and taking a look.
I just love food so much that it’s pretty much always on my mind. And I’m always looking for new recipes ideas and inspiration and what better place to get it from than a tried and tested restaurant menu.
Are ya with me?
This method proves to be even better when I actually get to eat in that restaurant and sample the creations for myself. These vegan mango summer rolls with avocado are the result of that exact experience. During our first night in Costa Rica, D and I decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner out at an Asian fusion restaurant not far from the beach where we were staying.
The first thing that caught my attention on the menu – ginger summer rolls. These were made with mango, avocado, pickled ginger, rice noodles, etc and were phenomenal.
So appropriate and perfect for the relentless 90 degree Costa Rican heat. There was no doubt in my mind.
These were getting recreated ASAP.
I’ve made summer rolls a bunch of time – from vegan veggie summer rolls to shrimp and cucumber summer rolls they are all equally delicious. Now they do take some time to prepare because you have to prep all the ingredients first – lots of chopping and matchsticking (yea I just made that word up).
And then you need to be fairly patient and coordinated in order to dampen the rice paper wrappers and then roll them up tightly and neatly.
Once you’re done wrapping and rolling, quickly whisk up the peanut butter creamy dreamy sauce. Your plate of mango summer rolls, a.k.a. your new favorite appetizer, lunch or light dinner, is ready to be served.
Super light, and refreshing these mango summer rolls with avocado are smooth, creamy, nutty, salty, sweet, and just about everything in between.
PS. if you love avocados as much as I do and are constantly on the look out for avocado themed recipes be sure to check out my collection of avocado recipes!
What did you think of these mango summer rolls? What’s your favorite vegan summer roll recipe? Share in the comments below!
To keep up with me, make sure you’re following me on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Also don’t forget sign up for my newsletter to get a free weekly meal plan every Sunday (and a free Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Avocado Recipe Ebook)!
Summer rolls are my favorite! If you love them as much as I do check out my Vegetarian Summer Rolls and Gluten Free Summer Recipes Round Up for more ideas! And if you love mangoes there are plenty of recipes ideas in this Vegan Mango Recipes Round Up.
How to make mango summer rolls
Vegan Summer Rolls with Mango and Avocado make for the most refreshing appetizer. Creamy avocado and lightly sweet and soft mango wrapped up with greens and herbs in silky rice paper wrappers. Gluten Free too.
35 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
37 minTotal Time
- 12 rice paper wrappers
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into strips
- 1-2 avocados, cut into thin strips
- 1 large cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 12 lettuce leaves
- handful cilantro, chopped
- handful basil, chopped
- 2 ounces thin rice noodles
- For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon gluten free tamari
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- hot water (as needed 1/4 - 1/2 cup)
- Prepare all toppings before you start.
- Soak rice wrappers in warm water individually as you go, for about 30 seconds until they are super soft.
- Place the rice wrapper flat in front of you and start adding the toppings to the lower third of the wrapper (the side closer to you), adding mango, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, cilantro, basil and rice noodles.
- Start tightly rolling the wrapper away from you, tucking in the two sides as you go. Set aside
- Repeat the process for the remaining wrappers.
- In a small bowl combine the sauce ingredients - peanut butter, Sriracha, tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and lime juice. Mix until smooth.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup hot water, mixing it in slowly until desired thickness and consistency is reached.
- Cut each wrapper in half diagonally.
- Serve with sauce.