We’re talking about rice free, quick make at home, low carb sushi rolls. No raw fish necessary, just smoked salmon, avocados, cucumber, green onions and seaweed sheets. So more like faux sushi rolls.
So simple right? Exactly.
I am seriously so excited to share this low carb sushi roll recipe. I came up with this dish randomly and absolutely love love loved it.
Japanese cuisine is always my top pick for going out to eat. I just love sushi, sushi rolls, anything Japanese related really. And ironically enough Japanese sushi rolls are one of the few types of food I have never had any interest in recreating at home.
I always wanted that to be something special that I treated myself to on a night out.
So I kind of half caved on that and made these the other day. These aren’t quite like real Japanese sushi rolls – there’s no rice, and I didn’t even have a proper bamboo rolling mat. So more like a fake at home simplified version of the classic Japanese sushi roll.
It would have been much easier if I had a full sheet sized piece of nori seaweed but instead I only had snack sized rectangular strips so I made this work with those.
Basically you just cut the salmon into thin strips, make matchsticks out of the cucumbers, snap off thin strands of the scallions and thinly slice the avocado.
Then layer those ingredients on top of each other on the seaweed sheet or strip and roll it up. Dab a bit of oil on the end to seal the roll.
That’s it. That’s how simple this really is.
Dip in soy sauce (or gluten free tamari) with a dab of wasabi or use your favorite Japanese salad dressing instead. I recently became obsessed with this deep roasted sesame dressing and dipped my low carb sushi rolls into this. If you can get your hands on this dressing (translation – order on amazon ASAP) it will literally change your life.
As will these low carb sushi rolls. I mean I am nothing short of obsessed. These are uber healthy and filling while being super easy to make and low carb. You don’t need to make any rice, or deal with any raw fish. The smoked salmon easily replaces raw salmon is regular sushi rolls and the avocado and cucumber perfectly round out all the flavors.
Next time you need lunch ready in minutes try these low carb sushi rolls! I know I’ve been eating these every day! And will continue to do so until all my smoked salmon reserves run out!
If you’re looking for similar flavors but with no coordination required you’ve got to try my sushi bowl recipe.
Let me know what you think of these low carb sushi rolls in the comments below!
- small package smoked salmon sliced into thin strips
- 2-3 small English cucumbers cut into matchsticks
- handful of green onions cut into long strips
- 1/2-1 avocado thinly sliced
- 2 full nori seaweed sheets
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- For the sauce: soy sauce or gluten free tamari for gluten free with wasabi (optional)
- How you cut the ingredients will depend on the length of the nori seaweed sheets. Since I was using thin seaweed strips I cut everything into small pieces so they would just stick out of each roll. If you are using a full nori sheet then this will not be an issue as you will be able to slice the rolls individually later.
- Place salmon, cucumbers, avocado and green onions on the top 1/3 of the nori sheet. Tightly roll the seaweed over the filling and use a bit of oil to help seal it.
- Repeat with remaining sheets. Cut each roll of seaweed into the size you want.
- Dip into soy sauce (or gluten free tamari) with wasabi, or your favorite Japanese salad dressing