Parsley Almond Rice Pilaf Recipe – only a few simple ingredients needed for a flavorful and fluffy no fail rice pilaf. Gluten free and vegan too.
Rice should technically be pretty easy to prepare. It’s just rice and water – how complicated can that be? Yet in practice it actually is difficult to get the perfect texture and consistency of the rice. If you do it wrong you’ll end up with a mushy gloopy mixture which is just unpleasant to look at, let along put in your mouth.
What I love about rice pilaf is that it’s a lot easier to get it right. For some reason toasting the rice in the pan and mixing it with other ingredients before adding in the liquid always seems to produce a better texture in the final product.
This almond rice pilaf recipe is my go to rice pilaf recipe – one that I always pair with my broiled chicken with artichoke hearts (another keeper).
I mean it literally comes out perfect every single time that I make it only requires a few key ingredients. The slivered almonds add a great crunch to the rice and parsley some fresh herbs. If you can’t find slivered almonds, sliced almonds or even regular raw almonds chopped or crushed will work in this almond rice pilaf too. Just make to to use some form of almonds!
I am sure you could use cilantro as well instead of the parsley, as that would work well here too!
Don’t mind the water droplets on the plate — I was taking this photo on my balcony after work and with the daylight hours slipping away I couldn’t let the rain stop me.
How’d you do with my almond rice pilaf recipe? What side dishes did you pair your rice with? Let me know in the comments below! I would love to hear what you think so please share!
My go to rice pilaf recipe is this almond rice pilaf with parsley- the rice cooks perfectly every time
- 3 tablespoons butter divided (use olive oil for vegan or dairy free)
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth vegetable broth if vegan
- salt pepper, to taste
- handful fresh parsley chopped
- Over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons butter (or oil) in a pot. Add onions. Cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add almonds and cook until starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice, cook and stir 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken (or vegetable) broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 or until rice is cooked through.
- Add parsley and 1 tablespoon butter and fluff with a fork.