Think of a simplified paella or jambalaya, this One Pot Italian Sausage Rice is a Dairy Free Dinner Recipe that all cooks together fusing the delicious flavors of onions, garlic, pork sausage, red peppers, tomatoes, rice and chicken broth. A one pot dairy free dinner recipe and a low fuss meal that will please everyone. Both gluten-free and dairy-free too.
D and I have been traveling around California for almost a full month now and I seriously love this place. Like love love love. If you ask me this state has it all, and doesn’t even compare to any other state I have seen so far.
Fine, I know California is much larger than Massachusetts so I’m willing to compare it to the majority of the Eastern coast of the US. And I still think it’s got more to offer than all those states combined. Here’s just a short list of the top of my head of what I love about Cali – beautiful beaches and a gorgeous coastline (try a drive down highway 1 from San Fran to LA), big cities (hello LA and San Fran), adorable small towns (Monterey and Carmel), awesome landscapes at the national parks (here’s to hiking at Pinnacles and Joshua Tree), oh yea and the weather’s great too.
Beaches, weather, cities, cutesy towns, hiking opportunities, yet those are all at the top of my list when thinking of a place to live. I mean I’ve just got to live within an hour of the ocean. I have to.
Our travels in Cali have taken us from San Fran to San Diego and back and so far it’s all been wonderful.
And speaking of wonderful things that make me super happy, this one pot Italian sausage rice for a dairy free dinner recipe is right up there with my love for Cali.
I always make a huge mess in the kitchen so am always super thrilled when a recipe requires only one pot for cooking and one cutting board where you just diced up the ingredients in order and neatly toss into the pan before chopping up the next one. A nice little process going on here with this Italian sausage rice recipe. The less clean up the better.
First you cook up the sausage, toss in the onions, garlic, bell peppers and tomatoes and by then the whole pot is steaming and incredibly aromatic. Then comes the final touch, the rice and chicken broth. As the rice cooks it absorbs the flavors from everything in there and you end up with a delicious plate ful of rice, sausage in a tomatoy, brothy sauce.
This recipes takes a bit more time than some of my other one pot meals (hint – my 15 minute vegan couscous) but it is worth all the effort, and you can prep the ingredients as the other ones cook, so you get through the prep quickly and then sit back and wait for the broth to be absorbed by the rice. Not a ton of hands on time needed with this Italian sausage rice recipe!
Let me know what you think of my One Pot Italian Sausage Rice in the comments below.
Think of a simplified paella or jambalaya, this one pot Italian sausage rice dish all cooks together fusing the delicious flavors of onions, garlic, pork sausage, red peppers, tomatoes, rice and chicken broth. A one pot low fuss meal that will please everyone. Both gluten-free and dairy-free too.
- 2 pounds sweet or hot italian sausage casings removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 red bell peppers diced
- 3-4 large tomatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until the browned, breaking up the pieces with a spatula.
- Add onions and cook for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add bell peppers and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add rice and cook, stirring until rice is lightly toasted (few minutes)
- Add broth (if the tomatoes have created a lot of liquid that has not yet cooked off, only add 3 cups of the broth, otherwise add 4).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is cooked through. Give the whole mixture a stir every now and then to make sure the rice cooks evenly.