Sweet potato curry vegan and gluten free is a rich, creamy Indian based curry that is brimming with vibrant flavors from spinach, and chickpeas. Ready in 40 minutes.
I have seriously strange cravings sometimes.
When it’s hot I will need a hot creamy winter themed meal. Who knows why. Sometimes I just love soups, stews, curries, in the summer time or just hot spring day.
Cue this spinach, chickpeas and sweet potato curry vegan and gluten free recipe.
Those are my usual go tos.
I pretty much never use Indian curry spices in my cooking.
Indian curry based dishes are incredible and need to be recreated in the kitchen with a bit of a fusion flair all the time.
I spotted a jar of curry masala seasoning in the spices cabinet and quicky whipped up this recipe.
Also just the other week I noticed in a recipe that the onions, ginger and garlic were all pureed together in a mini food processor to form a paste.
Also brilliant. Loving this idea and quickly adding it to this sweet potato curry vegan recipe.
To make this sweet potato curry vegan and full of substance of chickpeas and spinach seemed like a natural set of ingredients to me.
You will not miss the lack of animal protein in this dish, I guarantee it.
The first time I made this curry I knew it was quickly being added into the weekly rotation of meals. So rich, so creamy and so flavorful. Turning the onion, garlic and ginger into a smooth paste gives the dish a more consistent texture and a bolder flavor.
You know when the ginger sometimes is all fibery and you kind ginger “hairs” in your dish? Yea not exactly appealing or aesthetically pleasing to see those tough ginger stems.
None of that happening here.
So next time you’re craving a creamy rich, home made vegan and gluten-free curry try this spinach, chickpeas and sweet potato curry vegan and gluten free recipe.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon curry masala powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas
- 8 ounces spinach chopped
- For garnish 1 lime zested and juiced and handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a small blender or mini food processor combine garlic, ginger and onion. Puree until paste forms (adding small amount of water if needed to puree the mix).
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat and add the paste. Cook for 5 minutes, until lightly toasted.
- Add curry masala powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, mix. Add salt.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until sweet potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork (10-15 minutes).
- Add chickpeas and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add spinach and remove from heat, stirring the mixture.
- Serve garnished with lime juice, zest and fresh cilantro.