A rich and creamy vegan sweet potato soup recipe with apple has a secret ingredient. Black tea! And lots of paprika to give it the extra depth of flavor. Gluten-Free.
As in make a huge batch of broth and then go wild with various soup combinations.
As in meet my new favorite soup of all time – vegan sweet potato soup recipe with apple.
Yup you heard right, apples in the soup as well.
I tried the apple soup thing once before with a red lentil soup and absolutely loved it. Never would have guessed there were apples in the soup but loved the addition of a soft texture and smooth taste.
Yes, apples in fact do go well with soup. I saw a recipe for this soup online and I instantly knew that I needed to get right to work. I frantically ran, well realistically took a few steps across the kitchen to make sure I had all the ingredients on hand. It was my lucky day.
Soup time! The main ingredients here are simply roasted sweet potatoes (and oh boy does the roasting really add to the overall flavor — got to love that deep, slightly caramelized sweet potato taste), onions and apples. With both hot and sweet smoked paprika — yes it’s better to use both and trust me the flavors of each are completely different.
But there’s another special hidden ingredient in this soup as well.
It’s….. black tea! Fresh brewed super strong and dark black tea. Sounds super strange to add tea to soup right?
I can’t exactly take credit for this brilliant idea. My aunt and cousin in Canada recently shared their favorite pumpkin soup recipe which is simply made with pumpkin, broth, strong black tea and pumpkin seed oil. From all their oohing and aahing I knew there had to be something special about the tea aspect.
And I was not disappointed. I only added a quarter cup of tea, though next time I’ll experiment by adding even more. Overall the vegan sweet potato soup recipe turned out incredible. Rich, and creamy, with various hints of deep flavor and a real complexity in taste that you couldn’t quite put your finger on.
When serving sprinkle with lime zest and a splash of lime juice for a whole hearted flavor experience for your taste buds.
A meal like this is perfect for lunch or dinner. You’ll definitely more than just one bowl of this vegan sweet potato soup recipe with apple.
A rich and creamy vegan sweet potato apple soup with a secret ingredient. Black tea! And lots of paprika to give it the extra depth of flavor. Gluten-Free.
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cubed sweet potatoes (about 3 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green apple, cubed (no need to peel)
- 1 medium onion, cubed
- 1/4 cup very strong black tea
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a bowl toss sweet potatoes and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a single layer place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake until soft and just starting to brown (around 30 minutes).
- In a large pot heat remaining olive oil over medium heat and add onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes, add sweet potatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the apple, cook for another minute, add the paprika and salt and continue to cook for 1 more minute, mixing everything together.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add black tea and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until apples have broken down and are soft.
- Use an immersion or regular blender to puree the soup. Serve garnished with lime zest and splash of juice (optional).
Recipe Adapted From The Perfect Pantry
Recipe shared on Melt in Your Mouth Mondays,Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mostly Home Made Mondays , Natural Living Monday , Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday,Fresh Food Wednesday, Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays,The Wednesday Roundup, Wellness Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday , Pennywise Platter Thursday , Simple Meals Friday, Gluten Free Fridays,