I haven’t posted any breakfast recipes yet so here comes the first.
I don’t really believe in breakfast foods.
In my world it is perfectly normal to heat up dinner leftovers for breakfast.
Although I don’t mind having dinner for breakfast I do actually enjoy most breakfast foods. Except for oatmeal. Yuck. No way.
Eggs, on the other hand, are great. As in I love them, and if I’m going to be eating breakfast food for breakfast it better have eggs in it!
This recipe I found in The Illustrated Quick Cook book, which I saw at Anthropologie 2 years ago, (obviously incredibly overpriced).
At the time I knew I must have the book, so I quickly bought it on Amazon (at a much more reasonable price). Now I’m not usually a cook book buyer – though I do admit I love spending hours curled up on the couch looking through all the pictures and day dreaming about all the recipes I could make.
Unfortunately, having looked through the book when I finally bought it, it I didn’t find all that many winners.
This omelet is one of the exceptions though. I go back and forth with omelet actually. Sometimes I love it, like when I’m on a family ski vacation up in Bromont, Canada and they make fresh omelets with toppings of choice for you at the breakfast buffet. Other times, I’m like eh, I just want two soft boiled or fried eggs instead.
I was actually more than pleasantly surprised with this one. Grated zucchini cooks up ever so lightly with the eggs, creating a spongy, soft and veggie filled omelet with lots of flavor. The sharp taste of feta packs in a bit of a flavor punch at the end there.
Only a few ingredients needed to make this for zucchini feta omelet for breakfast and it makes for a great alternative to the standard boiled or fried eggs that I usually make for myself daily.
Recipe adapted from The Illustrated Quick Cook
Spice up breakfast with zucchini feta omelet. Tender grated zucchini cooks perfectly with the egg mixture for a light and fluffy meal. Top with feta for added flavor. Gluten-Free.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 eggs
- 1 zucchini, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- salt, pepper to taste
- handful of cubed feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Drain some of the liquid from the zucchini and pat dry with a paper towel. Beat the eggs and combine with grated zucchini and heavy cream. Add salt and pepper.
- Over medium-low heat melt butter and add egg mixture. Lift up edges occasionally to let egg mixture cook evenly.
- When omelet is almost cooked through sprinkle with cubed feta cheese. Cover, turn heat to low and cook until eggs are cooked through.
- *If you don't have heavy cream omit it. If you don't have feta cheese, use cream cheese.