4 ingredient pumpkin gnocchi vegan and gluten free recipe served with vegan basil pesto, oven roasted broccoli, brussels sprouts and pumpkin seeds. Perfect winter dinner.
Gnocchi! Love them or hate them? I used to be the ultimate gnocchi hater. Thick potato based dough dumplings that always seemed overly dry and mushy. The kind of food that sticks to the roof of your mouth and requires serious concentration or extra tools to me removed. No thanks.
But everybody else loves them, and raves about them. Was I missing something?
Yes indeed. I just need to make my own batch of pumpkin gnocchi to fall in love with these bite sized, pillowy, soft and doughy dumplings.
Move aside potato – today, we’re making pumpkin gnocchi vegan and gluten free. Instead of cheese and eggs we’re using a chia egg and nutritional yeast for that same binding and cheesey effect. For an extra kick of flavor pumpkin puree is used in place of potato, and for a gluten-free version a gluten-free flour blend is used.
These four ingredients just need to be mixed together, formed into a ball, rolled out into thin slivers of dough and then cut into one inch segments. With the back of your fork you can also push down a bit to create those famed gnocchi lines.
These pumpkin gnocchi are then tossed into boiling water for just a couple minutes, and then lightly pan fried in olive oil. The pan frying is optional but I kind of loved the lightly crisped up exterior, giving way to the super soft and doughy inside.
I have also come up with the best sauce ever for these pumpkin gnocchi vegan and gluten free recipe. Think vegan basil pesto (home made of course), oven roasted broccoli & brussels sprouts, and toasted pumpkin seeds.
The flavor combination is to die for. Oven roasted broccoli might be my all time favorite roasted vegetable with roasted Brussels sprouts coming in at a close second.
And pumpkin seeds do not get nearly as much attention on the dinner plate as they should. Pesto though, you know is always close to my heart.
This was hands down one of my mom’s favorite dishes. She love love loved this pumpkin gnocchi vegan and gluten free recipe especially with the pesto, roasted veggie and pumpkin seed sauce. You have those soft doughy gnocchi, enveloped in a fragrant and herbal basil pesto with lightly charred roasted veggies and the crunch of toasted pumpkin seeds. All you flavors you could ever want in one bite. A perfect hearty winter meal.
And since I’m in such a cheery January winter mode I would love to share that this post also include a GIVEAWAY! Cue the fireworks. Enter below to win a $150 Ikea giftcard.
Is Ikea the best or what? Pretty much everything in my first apartment after college was strictly from Ikea, and I am now happy to see that same cutlery set in Airbnb apartments all over the world. When D and I are traveling and renting apartments, when I open the kitchen drawer to see those same exact forks and knives from Ikea that I had back in Washington DC in 2010, I can’t help but feel a little bit closer to home. You know the ones I’m talking about?
So good luck to everyone in this Ikea giftcard giveaway!
*Giveaway is open to those 18 or older who reside in the US
- "!for the gnocchi:"
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour (add more as needed)
- 1 chia egg (1/2 tablespoon chia mixed with 1 and 1/2 tablespoon water)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- "for the vegetables"
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup vegan basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl combine broccoli and brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake on aluminum foil lined baking sheets in a single layer for 25-30 minutes.
- In a small bowl sprinkle chia seeds over water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin puree, nutritional yeast, chia egg and flour. Mix until dough form.
- Form dough into 4 balls and roll out into long thin thread (using more flour as needed). Cut into one inch segments and lightly press down on each one with a fork.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt to taste. Add gnocchi. Cook for 2-4 minutes. Remove from pot.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Lightly pan fry each gnocchi until browned.
- Serve with vegan basil pesto, roasted broccoli, roasted brussels sprouts and pumpkin seeds.