1.2K Flares 1.2K Flares ×

julia child's white bean spread

This is my first time participating in the Sunday Supper weekly group. I am always looking for new food blogger groups to join and when I heard the Sunday Supper group was all about Sunday family home cooked meals I happily joined. For my first week participating the theme was Julia Child recipes. I only learned about Julia Child after watching the Julie and Julia movie but I got to know more about it after reading her memoir. She’s seems like an amazing woman, a true wiz in the kitchen, and I happily recreated one of her recipes. After some research I found this Brandade a la Soissonaise (White Bean puree) from the Julia Child’s Kitchen cookbook. I can’t take credit for actually flipping through the cookbook to pinpoint this one recipe – the credit goes to Kalyn from Kalyn’s Kitchen. One of the food blogs I follow, Kalyn’s has a ton of great recipes with a focus on healthy eating so when I saw this recipe on her site I knew it would be a hit.

A no cook dish, this white bean spread was delicious. Similar to hummus in that it’s a puree of beans with tahini, this white bean spread is even better. Who knew Julia Child had her own take on hummus? What I do know, is that her version is a keeper.

julia child's white bean spread

Helpful Kitchen Tools for this Recipe:
KitchenAid KFP7I5 7-Cup Food Processor, White – the star of this recipe is really the food processor – it’s all you really need to throw this together. This is my favorite model and is perfect for so many different recipes, a kitchen investment if you will.

Julia Child's Brandade á la Soissonaise (White Bean Dip)

• 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 25 leaves fresh basil, washed and dried
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • ¼ cup Tahini paste
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic
  • salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil (plus more drizzling)
  • chopped basil for garnish, optional
  1. Add basil to food processor and process for a few seconds to break up the basil leaves. Add beans, lemon juice, tahini paste, and minced garlic to food processor and process until beans are pureed, about 1 minute. Then add olive oil through the feed chute 1 tablespoon at a time. Add some water a tablespoon at a time to reach desired consistency.

Check out what my other fellow Sunday Supper Bloggers prepared:

#CookForJulia Breakfast

Râpée Morvandelle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings

Croissants by Cookistry

Cheese and Bacon Quiche by Tora’s Real Food

#CookForJulia Lunch

Tuna Salad Nicoise by Magnolia Days

Blood Orange, Walnut, and Rocket Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking

Croque Monsieur by Webicurean

Spinach and Cream Cheese Pancakes by Happy Baking Days

Julia’s Chicken Salad by My Trials in the Kitchen

Pissaladière Niçoise (Onion Tart with Anchovies and Black Olives) by The Wimpy Vegetarian

Provencal Tomato Quiche by Are you hungry?

Quiche Lorraine  Spoon and Saucer

Potato and Onion Soup (Potage Parmentier) by Shockingly Delicious

#CookForJulia Dinner

Bouillabaisse by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

Boeuf Bourguignon by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence

Orecchiette Con Broccoli Di Rape and Sausages by Doggie at the Dinner Table

Boeuf Bourguignon by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks

Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms with Baked Cucumbers and Boiled Potatoes (Blanquette de veau a l’ancienne with concombres au buerre) by Kimchi Mom

Salmon en Papillote by Girlichef

Poached salmon with cucumber sauce by Katherine Martinelli

Lobster Souffle and Deviled ChickenCrispy Bits & Burnt Ends

Roasted Chicken with Julia’s Mustard Marinade by The Meltaways

Wild Mushroom and Herb Stuffed Chicken- Mama Mommy Mom

Puree of White Beans with Garlic and Herbs (Brandade á la Soissonaise) Avocado Pesto

Poulet au Porto by Family Foodie

#CookForJulia Sides

Hollondaise over Blanched Asparagus by The Little Ferraro Kitchen

Scalloped Potatoes with Milk, Cheese, and Garlic (Gratin Dauphinois) by Home Cooking Memories

Ratatouille by Basic N Delicious

French-style country pate by There and Back Again

White Bean Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips Momma’s Meals

Oeufs à la Diable by What Smells So Good?

Soubise by The Weekend Gourmet

Espresso Soufflé by Chocolate Moosey

Best Ever Brownies by In the Kitchen with Audrey

Orange-Almond Jelly Roll Cake by Mrs. Mama Hen

Orange Spongecake Cupcakes by Mama’s Blissful Bites

Orange Mousse with Greek Yogurt by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz

Frozen Chocolate Mousse by Big Bear’s Wife

Similar Posts To Julia Child’s Brandade á la Soissonaise (White Bean Dip) for #Sunday Supper #cookforjulia

1.2K Flares Pin It Share 1.2K Twitter 24 Facebook 0 Google+ 2 Reddit 1 StumbleUpon 2 Buffer 0 1.2K Flares ×

Comments

Thanks! Me too – need to test out more hummus type recipes with different types of beans! Black bean hummus is next on the list!

Thanks! So glad I picked the Julia Child themed week to join the group – love going through everyone’s creations!

1. Heather @girlichef says

Oh, I’ve never combined tahini with white beans before – but I’m going to now; this sounds delicious! I think it would become a fast favorite around here.

2. Renee says

And I almost bought tahini paste at the store but didn’t. Now I need to go back so I can make this yummy dip.

Ah I hate when that happens to me! This dip might even be good without the tahini? Will have to test it out next time without tahini.

3. Family Foodie says

I can’t wait to try this fabulous recipe…. I think Julia Child was making Hummus before we even knew what hummus was. I am so glad you are part of our #SundaySupper inspiration.

Exactly! Let me know how you like it! I’m so glad I joined the Sunday Supper club and look forward to more events!

4. Samantha @ FerraroKitchen says

Just beautiful! I make hummus often but am picky and not with other beans..I need to get out of my comfort zone :) Thank you soo much for cooking in this #SS :)

Thanks! I highly recommend this – if you like hummus already you should like this one with the white beans – I feel like they provided a gentler taste than the chickpeas.

5. Amy Kim says

Love your vibrant photos!

The dip looks great and I love the fact that it uses white beans! Will try it soon!

Let me know how you like it! I always made hummus with chickpeas before but now am going to start branching out to all the other varieties!

6. Brandie @ Spoon and Saucer says

So simple, and looks so yummy! I make my own hummus, this is next up with my food processor. :)

Highly recommend this recipe! Got to love having a food processor and being able to whip up home made dips in no time!

Glad you liked it! Such a simple recipe that’s so easy to whip up but is delicious! And yes Kalyn has a lot of great recipe that I have personally tested out!

7. sunithi says

Love dips in general & this bean dip looks so healthy & yummy. Will make this sometime instead of the usual humus I make ! Thanks for sharing !

8. Renee says

I really love a good spin on hummus, and this is so beautifully presented. Nice job with the #sundaysupper post and welcome to the group. :)

Thanks! I can’t believe I never thought of making a hummus like dip with white beans instead earlier! I might actually prefer this to hummus!

9. Linda-There and Back Again says

I’ve been wondering what to do with all of the leftover Tahini I have from making hummus a few weeks ago. Now I know! I’ve always wanted to make a white bean dip, and this one looks delicious. I love the basil seasoning. Can’t wait to give it a try!

Once I purchased my first jar of tahini I always have some in the fridge which is perfect for when I randomly want to make hummus or now this dip! Feel free to add more basil than listed in the recipe if you want a stronger basil flavor (as is it is pretty subtle).

Thanks! Was trying to rush through the photography part so I could plop down and enjoy the dip with veggies!

White beans and avocado? Sounds awesome! Hoping you’ve got the recipe for this creation up on your blog as I’m going to search for it now!

10. The Wimpy Vegetarian says

This was my first #SS too – very fun. I love this recipe and am pinning to make this week. It’s right up my alley – and your photos make it sooo inviting. Great post!

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! I’d actually already emailed myself your Sunday Supper creation recipe! Awesome tip about onion by the way — I never know by putting them in the freezer for a little bit would prevent your eyes from tearing – seriously need to try that!

11. Kari@Loaves and Dishes says

The Sunday Supper Club sounds like a blast, I’m totally gonna check it out when I get back from vacation. I just love bean dip, all kinds of bean dip, I don’t have to feel guilty about eating it as I go back in for the double dip.

Exactly – it’s healthy so you don’t need to feel bad about having more than just a sample bite! I’m pretty sure at one point I skipped the crackers and just licked the dip off the spoon! Enjoy your vacation – where you headed?

• Kari@Loaves and Dishes says

I’ve actually been on vacation for a while, we visit my family in Victoria, BC, Canada, and my inlaws in Bigfork MT, the northwest part of MT. Both places are picturesqe, and so much cooler than my home in South FLA.

Sounds like a great trip! I’m stuck here in hot and humid DC and think it might actually be worse than south Florida since there isn’t even a hint of a sea breeze!

12. Faye Leong says

Amazing post, Vicky! I like your photography so much and of course the recipe too….Healthy Recipe!

13. Lucy says

I am currently obsessed with white bean dip at the moment and am so pleased I came across your blog post! My version uses three anchovy fillets, rosemary and chili and I make a batch to take to work for lunch every day – so yum! I like Julia Child’s version with the tahini, I will definitely try this recipe. Your blog looks delicious, off to check some more recipes now!

Would never have thought to add anchovy fillets to dip — will definitely have to try that! Rosemary also makes for a great addition to everything so I’m sure it’s perfect here too!

14. Bethaney - Flashpacker Family says

Yum Vicky! This looks divine. The weather is getting warmer here and I’m loving spring vegetable crudités. This dip looks perfect for me. :)

15. Gem says

Who knew that Julia Child had recipes that don’t contain butter!? Lol. Although I do heart a bit of butter from time to time… I will def try this recipe, and in fact you’ve got me thinking that I should try this recipe this week with some activated, cooked red kidney beans I have oodles of on hand. Why not? I have tahini, garlic and basil… If not exactly hummus like, I’m sure it will still be yummy. Or maybe I can spice with cumin or some Indian spices?

Haha indeed! Ooo this with red beans sounds like it would be great too! Let me know how it turned out? I haven’t tried making dips with red beans before so let me know if it’s just as good!

• Gem says

Yep, I vaguely remember it was yummy. I think I made like a mexican dip with cumin and red kidney beans… Fresh coriander is a winner too.