Garlic Naan

Garlic Naan

I’ve loved Indian food for years, but I’ve always ordered the same three things, chicken tikka masala, samosas, and garlic naan. I didn’t really venture out into the world of Indian food until our trip to India in November.

And let me tell you this – I’ve been missing out.

Indian food is so incredible and flavorful that I should have been ordering a different dish every time, just to at least sample everything on the menu at some point.

While I tried tons of different dishes in India, one of my favorites is still the classic Indian flatbread – garlic naan.

The best one I’ve ever had was at the Spice Paradise cooking class in Jodhpur where we made our own from scratch.

I have no idea what made this one different from all the rest but it was incredible. So buttery and the dough so flaky with that punch of garlic and the heat coming off your fingertips.

I seriously needed nothing to accompany this flat bread, I was perfectly happy to eat it on its own.

If you’re a bit hesitant on trying Indian food, and need to ease yourself into it, you can do no wrong but starting out with a sampling of garlic naan. If yours is as good as the one I had in Jodhpur you will be hooked.

Get My Weekly Meal Plan Plus My FREE GF/DF Avocado Recipes Ebook

5.0 from 3 reviews
Garlic Naan
Cook time
The authentic Indian bread to soak up all those creamy dreamy curries.
Recipe type: Bread
  • 250 grams white flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3-4 cloves mashed garlic
  • fresh cilantro, chopped
  • fresh plain yogurt
  1. In a large bowl combine all ingredients with the fresh plain yogurt, adding more yogurt if necessary to make the dough less dry.
  2. Mix the dough until everything is combined and continue to knead the dough until you have a round smooth ball. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Break small pieces off the dough and form a round ball. Using a rolling pin roll out the dough ball evenly until fairly thin.
  4. Heat a pan over medium heat and add a small amount of ghee to the pan. Lightly pan cook the garlic naan on one side, adding ghee to the top side and then flip over and cook on the other side.

I too love love love garlic naan and just had an incredible one the other day in Kuala Lumpur (freshly made and still hot too). How do you make garlic naan? This is just how the cooking class taught us. India was certainly unlike any other place I’ve traveled to (both in good and bad ways).

1. says

Hi Vicky,
    This one looks so delicious and I’m surprised at how easy to cook it. I especially like the idea to add garlic in the naan.
    Bookmarked and will definitely try this one out! :)

2. says

I’m right there with you on the “Indian food is awesome” sentiment. I haven’t met a dish I didn’t like and naan is hands down one of my all-time favorite snack foods. This recipe looks great. Most naan recipes I’ve found require oven baking with the oven cranked up to its highest temp. I appreciate the pan frying method. Pinning this to make later! Thanks for the share.

Naan is simply the best. The pan frying method might taste a little bit different than the over one, but I still absolutely loved this garlic naan, so I think it’s definitely still worth pan frying!

3. Veggie Girl says

This is so easy and delicious, but I did not like not knowing the amount of yogurt I will need.
    I decided to decrease the amount of garlic and used garlic salt instead of plain salt. I didn’t have ghee, so I cooked the naan in a little bit of olive oil & butter. My naan came out so pretty with the flecks of cilantro, it was light, a little crispy and moist on the inside. I will be making this often. Thank you

4. Carolina says

Question, is it possible to use a gluten free flour? If I do , do you know if I need to add something else in order to replace de gluten?

I have not tried making it with a gluten free flour but imagine that a gluten-free blend should work. Please let me know how it turns out if you make it!

5. Lauren says

Thanks for the recipe! A couple of questions… Most naan recipes I’ve seen have a bit of baking powder in there – is it unneccesary? Also some use yoghurt, some don’t – do you know what difference this makes?

From what I learned during the cooking class the yogurt makes for a softer dough. In the cooking class we did not use baking powder, I have never made it with baking powder so unfortunately cannot comment on the difference that it would make. Hope that helps!