I once read somewhere that your taste buds change ever seven years of so. Have you heard of such a thing, or am I simply making this up? I don’t know how often this really comes about but I think there must be some truth to this.
A few years ago I wouldn’t be caught dead eating a sweet potato.
Well now I can’t get enough of them. It was like flipping a switch. An invisible time flick and all of a sudden I was open to sweet potatoes. I don’t even understand what I had against them before.
Now I need to catch up for all that lost time.
I get fixated on certain types of recipes. Sometimes it’s quinoa, or salads but now it’s burgers.
I made and fell in love with my quinoa-burgers recipe and my zucchini veggie burgers – quite simply one of my all time favorite vegan veggie burgers. and I needed to experiment with more burger combinations.
Why not, right?
I was always under the impression that sweet potatoes take forever to cook. Well maybe if you try to bake them in the oven they will. But you can simply peel, cube and boil them and they’re soft and ready in minutes.
Minutes I tell you. Another pleasantly surprising recent sweet potato discovery.
And so this vegan sweet potato tofu burger recipe came to be. Only a handful of ingredients are needed – sweet potatoes, tofu, garlic, rosemary, sesame seeds and breadcrumbs.
Hopefully you have these on hand right now so you can skip on over to the kitchen and get started on these.
These vegan sweet potato tofu burgers make for a simple yet delicious vegan veggie burger. They’re soft and tender, just perfect wrapped up in some crispy romaine leaves and topped off with fresh avocados, vegan basil pesto, red onions and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
A perfect 30 minute meal. For more 30 minute meal ideas be sure to check out my recipe collection of 30 minute meals!
This vegan sweet potato tofu burger recipe makes for a perfect healthy summer lunch. Soft, and tender on the inside while lightly crispy on the outside, and full of flavor. Gluten-Free too.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 5 ounces firm tofu, with the excess water squeezed out with a paper towel
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, cubed, cooked and mashed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (or more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Top with your favorite burger toppings (I used avocado, red onions, sesame seeds, and vegan basil pesto )
- Crumble tofu with your hands into a bowl. Add in the cooked sweet potato and with a fork mash them together. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Form patties with your hands.
- Heat pan over medium heat and add olive oil. Cook patties for a few minutes on each side until browned. (Can bake these in the oven instead)
- Serve in burger buns or in lettuce wraps.
Recipe Adapted from Love and Lemons
This post has been shared one Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Inspiration Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Natural Living Mondays, , Hot Fun in the Summertime , Tasty Tuesdays, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday,Share Your Stuff Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday Real Food Wednesdays, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Wednesday Round Up, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesdays , Full Plate Thursdays, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Simple Meals Friday Gluten Free Friday, Get Him Fed Fridays,