Another vegetarian meal option. Creamy pureed roasted vegetable soup. I had never roasted garlic before so it was finally time I venture out and try it. I’ve been reluctant before because you do have to roast it for 35-60 minutes and I could never justify heating up an entire oven for a small head of garlic. But with this soup where I was also roasting an entire tray of cauliflower the appropriate opportunity finally presented itself. And I’ll definitely be doing more garlic roasting in the future. The garlic comes out caramelized, smooth – tender enough to just squeeze the cloves out into your mouth. Well maybe that’s taking it too far, but you get the idea. Both the roasted cauliflower and garlic deepened the flavor of this soup and made for the perfect vegetarian comfort meal. The original recipe calls for chicken broth and yogurt but I had neither on hand so I went with vegetable broth and sour cream. I’m sure it’s delicious either way.
Recipe Adapted from The Novice Blog
A simple and delicious creamy soap full of complex roasted veggie flavors
10 minPrep Time
50 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 tablespoon flour (use gluten free flour for gluten free version)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup sour cream (use coconut milk for vegan version)
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the top off the head of garlic, lightly drizzle rest of garlic with olive oil and tightly wrap with aluminum foil.
- Coarsely chop cauliflower and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a single layer place cauliflower on a baking sheet with the wrapped garlic head.
- Roast cauliflower 25 minutes, remove and continue to roast garlic for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, over medium heat whisk flour and 1 tablespoon olive oil until it turns a caramel brown color. Add carrots, celery and onion and stir to make sure nothing sticks. Cook for 3 minutes then add, salt, pepper, wine and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and roasted garlic cloves (by squeezing them out of the head of garlic). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and cook for another 5 minutes. In batches add soup to blender with sour cream and puree until smooth.